Monday, February 14, 2011

Lessons in a Picture Book pt 2

This week we are feeling like being creative. Lots of coloring, painting, cutting, gluing, and shaping. Our book of inspiration plays right into this! Eric Carle's Draw Me a Star. The plan isn't a difficult one. Each day, I will pull out a different medium from our crafting supplies. Then we can read through the book, starting where we left off the day before (whenever the energy drained from the activity!)

Monday: The book starts simply. Draw a star. Draw a sun. So on. So, we will use crayons, markers, and pencils to draw.

Tuesday (Maybe Wednesday): paint. I am thinking of introducing my boys to fingerpaint. I love finger painting, I have been overly concerned about the mess. So, I picked up some new paint smocks from IKEA (Ok, they are meant to be bibs. They work.) and we are going to get messy. Honestly, I wish it would be decent enough weather to do this on my covered porch outside.

Thursday (or Friday): Tissue paper and glue. This is the method Eric Carle uses for his artwork. By tearing the tissue into shapes, then overlaying the drawing on top. I am pretty sure our art will be pretty abstract, but what kid doesn't like to rip up paper and play with glue?

This week is all about exploring our creative options. I have not been very good at digging into our well supplied art kit, even though my boys love it. They don't ask, and I rarely offer because I am lazy about cleaning it up afterwards. My other goal is to get in and make a mess with them. I don't have to take the time cleaning elsewhere in the house, and then be resentful to come back to their mess. I am going to make my own mess, and not try to manage theirs. We are going to have space to do what we like with our art, and hopefully enjoy ourselves and each other. Dang, I hope that isn't too much to ask!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! It's the process, not the product that matters! Make a mess and have a blast!

    ReplyDelete